Maytag dishwashers are one of the world’s biggest-selling dishwashers. They have a reputation for being high-quality, reliable, and easy to operate. It’s not uncommon for a Maytag dishwasher owner to have their dishwasher for a long time.
However, sometimes parts in the dishwasher can break down, and they will need to be repaired or replaced. In this guide, you will find a list of some of the most common reasons why your Maytag dishwasher might not be running and how you can fix them.
The following Maytag dishwasher models are covered by this guide:
Check the Door Latch
The best place to start when trying to find the reason why your Maytag dishwasher is not running is to check the door latch. The purpose of the door latch is to make sure that the dishwasher door latches shut and cannot open during a wash cycle. When it doesn’t latch correctly, the dishwasher will not be able to start or run correctly.
To check the door latch:
- Simply close the dishwasher door and check if it closes correctly.
- If the door won’t shut properly, then the door latch will need to be replaced.
Check the Water Supply
Make sure that the dishwasher is properly connected to the water source.
You can do this by:
- Checking all the water hoses, connections, and switches to make sure they are turned on and connected correctly.
- If you find any of the water hoses, connections, or switches are faulty, you will need to replace them.
Check the Door Switch
The next component to check is the door switch. The purpose of the door switch is to make the dishwasher turn off when the door is open. When the switch stops working correctly, the dishwasher won’t be able to start at all – even if the door is closed properly. To test the door switch, you need to be comfortable using a multimeter device.
Here’s how to test it:
- Start by turning the power off.
- Locate the door switch – you can find it in the console on the top of the door. You will have to remove the screws to the top console and then open it up to get access to the switch.
- Use your multimeter to test it for continuity.
- If it has continuity, this means it is still functional and not the cause of the problem. If it doesn’t have continuity, then it is defective and will need to be replaced.
Check the Thermal Fuse
The next component to check is the thermal fuse. When the thermal fuse becomes defective and blows, it shuts off power to the dishwasher when it overheats, meaning you won’t be able to start it again until the fuse has been replaced.
To check the thermal fuse, you need to:
- Make sure the power is turned off.
- Locate the thermal fuse – it is also in the door console.
- Test the thermal fuse for continuity using your multimeter.
- If the test shows that the thermal fuse has no continuity, it will have to be replaced. If it does have continuity, this means it hasn’t blown, and you can move on to the next possible cause of the problem.
Test the Touchpad and Control Panel
Another common problem people have with Maytag dishwashers is when the touchpad stops working correctly.
To test it out, you need to:
- Make sure that the power is switched on.
- Press each button and check if each one responds as it’s supposed to.
- If one or more of the buttons don’t work, then you’ll need to replace the touchpad.
- If the buttons all work correctly, then you can reset the control panel by unplugging it from the wall for one minute and then turning it back on. This should reset the control panel and might fix the problem.
- If resetting the control panel doesn’t fix the problem, then move on to the next component to check.
Replace the Timer
The next component to check is the dishwasher timer. The function of the timer is to make sure that power flows to the proper components in your dishwasher and at the right times. When the timer stops working correctly the dishwasher might not start.
Timers are difficult to test and are often misdiagnosed by technicians as defective when they are not. So before replacing the timer, make sure you have tested all of the other components that we have listed above first.
To replace the timer, you need to:
- Make sure the dishwasher is turned off.
- Locate the timer.
- Replace the old timer with the new timer.
- Turn your dishwasher back on and check if it is now working.
Check the Main Control Board
The final component to check is the main control board. When the main control board stops working correctly, power doesn’t get sent to each component properly. This causes the dishwasher to not be able to start or run. It’s difficult to test the main control board, so your best option is to replace it only after you have checked all of the other components that we have listed above.